Cutest Blog on Block Winter

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I have got to get better about this!

Man, this blogging is hard work. I can't seem to make the time for it regularly but I REALLY would love to record the memories. It seems like my kids are growing everyday by leaps and bounds. And cute.....boy are they cute. Always making me laugh, leaving me guessing about what will come out of their mouth, and the games they come up with......such great imaginations.

We finished up the school year for Ty on May 20th. He was so excited to be out for the summer before his sister. We finished out with testing on his last day. That was funny. If Hayley had come home and said that she would be taking tests on the last day of school I would have thought that her teacher was such an old fuddy-dud. And yet, here I am testing right up until the end. Now who is the fuddy-dud? We didn't have an "end of the year" party as the next week was Hayley's last day of school and we then switched into her end of year festivities. She graduated 5th grade on May 24th at 6:30pm. It was a simple ceremony and over in a flash. We went to dinner at Ruby Tuesday's with all of the family following graduation. It was really nice.

Hayley is 11 years old and what a beautiful young lady she is becoming. I am not biased at all, though. She is curently playing softball and loving it. She really wants me to help her learn to pitch. I am debating on whether I really want to do this. She seems dedicated enough so we will see. She is also all signed up for another year of cheerleading. This is her first sports love. She would easily quit everything else if I made her choose. She is good at it. It is great for her socialization and helps her to learn to be more outgoing. Plus she is so tiny, they just throw her everywhere. She has no fear when it comes to stunting. She will try just about anything, making me a very nervous wreck. She also continues to fish. She has started fishing in some open tournaments with her Uncle Buddy, along with the kids tournaments. I guess you could say she is an all around tomboy. Well, a dress wearing, jewelry loving, pink dolled-up tomboy. Is that possible?

Ty is now 9 years old and I just do not know when that happened. I mean, I was there when he was born, I was at his birthday party but MAN where did the time go? I have a hard time telling people I have an 11yr old and 9 yr old. I keep wanting to say 11 and 8. I look at him and see him rapidly changing before my eyes everyday. He has grown so much over the last year physically, intellectually and emotionally. I think pulling him from the public school system allowed him to rebuild his self-esteem. It helped him to realize that, yes he DOES know something. We have had to make modifications throughout the year to accomodate for what he was able to focus on and pay attention to. But that was one of the GREATEST advantages to homeschooling this year. I was able to specifically focus on Ty and not have to worry about 30 other students and their learning styles. I am soooo excited about next year, I am ready to begin now. What is even better is Ty has come to me asking to repeat some of the cool experiments we have done so that he can show his sister. That is a love of learning that I hope to keep going in Ty and to bring back in Hayley. Ty played soccer for hte first time this season and he LOVED it. I figured it was right up his ally, high energy, constant moving. But he would cry if he had to miss practice, chose to skip spring football to go to soccer practice when they overlapped, those things surprised me. He has since shifted his focus as football starts back up on August 1st. I love watching him (and his sister for that matter) play their sports.

The kids have started the summer youth program at the church we have been attending. I am REALLY loving it and so are the kids. They are making tons of friends and learning so much. There is Camp Read-A-Lot first, where the kids are reading books and getting prizes for reading so many. Then there is The Plunge, where the kids play in the water and learn about God through music. The church also offers an amazing bible study for married couples and parents through the summer. I am learning a lot and really loving that while the kids are playing in their program I am also growing closer to God. VBS is coming up the end of the month and music camp is next month so the kids will have plenty of activities to keep them entertained.

We renewed our Dollywood/Splash Country passes so that is something else we plan on taking advantage of this summer. The kids will also be doing worksheets to keep current on their math facts because I can't just let that go completely.

Well, this long, long post tells you where we've been and let me say (as I think I have said with every post) that I hope to be posting more frequently. I hate letting all of these memories go and not getting them down on paper.

Until next time,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment